Ph.D. Decision Sciences and Engineering Systems
Our doctoral program allows qualified students to pursue advanced study within the department's core intellectual area of industrial and systems engineering (ISE).
- the application of mathematical, computational, statistical and information science methods to model, analyze and solve complex decision problems in engineering, business and social systems.
- methods of mathematical programming, queuing theory, computational optimization, decision analysis, applied statistics, database systems, soft computing, and discrete event simulation for solving problems related to the design, planning, and operation of complex systems where intelligent coordination and collaboration is necessary to achieve optimal performance.
- applying results from operations research, statistics and information systems to design, rationalize, and control large-scale enterprise systems.
ISE is distinctive from:
- management and economics in the use of an engineering approach to design and analyze enterprise processes to optimize performance.
- computer science in its focus on the design of data and knowledge systems as the organizational center where operations and enterprise systems are integrated.
Graduates of our doctoral program have accepted positions in academia, private industry and government.